Monday 14 September 2015

My bad experience at Northern College

Last December I was interested in the Social Sciences course at Northern College so I went to visit the College. I went to meetings with the College many times and in June I went to a try a course with living independent for 5 days, I really enjoyed it. 

My parents spent a lot of time planning for me to go and join the course and live independently at the College whilst I was away travelling. I have had some PAs leave because I thought I was going to college in Barnsley in September and I also had 2 new CSWs join. I just got back home and a few days later I was having an interview for a CSW with a lady from Blackpool and a lady from Oldham. I found out Social Care wouldn’t fund my independent living and wanted me to travel to Barnsley and back each day but that the Education funding was fine and that I could still go, as long as I could do the travelling.

At the last minute on the Friday I got a letter from Northern College for me to go to in that coming Monday and Tuesday. I went to do an assessment and have an interview at the College. It was such hard work having to do 2 English exams in full English. On Wednesday evening my parents told me that the College had called and said that I had not been accepted on the course. I was shocked and so upset. On Thursday morning my 2 CSWs called Northern College and asked why I hadn’t been accepted and they were told that my English wasn’t good enough.


I feel discriminated against because they don’t understand about me being Deaf, that BSL is my first language and that I have to translate to AAC on my Dynavox. I hope that they understand and change their minds.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry Nadia, something will come up for you, I get loads of set backs too don't worry. It'll all work out. We'll have to go traveling some time together, some time when I'm not busy with work and everything else.

    ReplyDelete